Re: Bug Database?

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Bug Database?
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 22:00:45 +1300

 >      > If gdb had a leader who said "we don't ship broken code", gdb
 >      > developers would be at annoyed because their favorite new feature of
 >      > which they are proud and fond isn't released to the public and would
 >      > eventually sit down and fix it, just as it happens in Emacs.
 >
 >     This is armchair advocacy.  I suspect that the fix isn't as easy as you
 >     suggest, but if you feel that strongly about it, you could work on a fix.
 >
 > He did not say anything about the amount of work required.

In the sentence before your quote he said:

 Frank> I looked at the code and while I wasn't able to do the fix myself, I
 Frank> think for someone who knows gdb's internal, the fix wouldn't be much
 Frank> work

 >                                                           Whether it
 > is easy or hard affects what the project leaders need to do, but
 > either way they should exercise leadership to get it fixed.

Templates aren't GDB's only shortcoming.  I could say GDB/MI is broken.  Others
would say it's weak at debugging multi-threaded programs.  Frank appears to be
saying "I want GDB to work well with C++ templates but I don't want to work on
it, so somebody else should or we should make life unpleasant for them.".
Maybe annoying the people who do contibute to free software is exercising
leadership, I wouldn't know.