Re: Back to emacsclient/server

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Back to emacsclient/server
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 15:29:19 +0200

On 10/27/06, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:

I don't think repeatability is realistic within Emacs,
because a Lisp function cannot have any control over
other functions that might have
called random before it.

Still, if the initial seed is always the same and you control the code
that runs, you can have repeatability. Viz the current situation,
where I'm getting the same authentication string in different
invocations of Emacs :)

If repeatability is desired, then we need a
function to set the random seed to a known value,
so Lisp code that requires repeatability can call
it at the start of its psuedorandom number generation.

...which is exactly what I was proposing with (random-seed SEED) and
`with-tmp-seed' (or perhaps `with-current-seed') :)

But all this has no bearing on the emacsclient/server issue. All I
need to know is whether people thinks is better to call (random t) in
server.el, or note the need to do so in the documentation.

--
                   /L/e/k/t/u