Re: Pretest

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Pretest
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:47:07 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Try also deleting configure and doing `make bootstrap' to generate a
>> new configure file (in case there's some bug in the version of
>> autoconf I'm using).  Does it work in that case?
>
> The latter method worked.  The version of Autoconf installed on
> fencepost is 2.59.  I see that the one you used also identifies itself
> as 2.59, but they produce a different configure script(!)

Maybe it's due to some Debian-specific patch to autoconf (I'm using
the version shipped with Ubuntu Dapper, version 2.59a-7).  We could
revert configure to the last version used, and stick with the
configure script for the rest of the pretest.

> Do you see anything in the diffs that could explain the failure?  I
> don't.  (The file src/config.in produced by autoheader is identical
> to what you included in the tarball, so config.h is not the culprit.
> The produced src/Makefile files are also identical.)
>
> I'd still like to understand what failed `ld'.

I think the easiest thing to do is to apply the hunks of the diff
until you find which part causes compilation to fail for you.  It
shouldn't take that long with a binary-search.