Re: Emacs and GFortran

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs and GFortran
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 15:05:15 +0200

> Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 01:43:30 +0100
> Cc: Thomas Koenig <address@hidden>,
>  address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
> From: Steven Bosscher <address@hidden>
>
> You should have been able to check that not all GCC developers
> can check copyright.list, thank you very much.

Then the OP should have consulted them before bringing that up here in
the heat of a dispute, as if that were an important reason not to
accept the patch.

> What in the world are you trying to achieve

I hoped (and still hope) that the gfortran developers will learn how
to react to complaints of their users.

> with all this whining?

And what did you try to achieve with these ad hominem attacks?

> Try as you might, the fact is that you can't force volunteers to do
> what you want.

No, but I hope I can talk reason to them.  Perhaps they were unaware
of the fact that their responses were unusually rude; I tried to make
that more clear.

> In the case of gfortran, all developers are volunteers

So are we (myself included).

> Then you arrogant folks come in, doing nothing but complaining and
> telling respected gfortran developers (nice people, I know some of them
> in person) that they basically don't know what they're talking about,
> and that The Only Right Way is the way you want things to be even though
> the patches AMS has posted clearly show he has no understanding of the
> gfortran diagnostics mechanisms.

> So go ahead and take it up with the SC, and watch to see gfortran hackers
> getting so frustrated with your whining that they just give up on the
> whole project and just invest their precious time in something that does
> not require interacting with people like you.

If user complaints are seen as ``whining'' and nuisance, then perhaps
we'd be better off without those who see them as such.