Re: filling inside minibuffer behaves poorly

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: filling inside minibuffer behaves poorly
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 08:37:32 +0100

The appearance of the text in the minibuffer is clearly secondary to
its appearance in real use.  So if both issues arose equally often,
I'd say that the latter wins.  But what if the latter issue only
arises in a few commands, and the former can arise for all commands?
Maybe then the existing code is better.

I am not sure how to judge this, and I wonder what others think.

If I wanted to use filling in the minibuffer at all it would be to
have the text look nice where it is finally used/sent, in this case
some chat application. I don't really see a point in having the text
look nice in the minibuffer; after all it is only seen there for a
short while.

However, this is really core business in Emacs and it could also be
fixed in the chat application. It could fill the message before they
are sent. If the chat text ends up in another client this might be a
bad idea though (the client that receives the chat might have its own
filling or wrapping or whatever), so I would leave the filling as an
option.