Re: emacsclientw

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: emacsclientw
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 00:10:51 +0100

On 11/13/06, Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> wrote:

Though I am unsure
about some details ... - if setup of a network socket fails, is it then
ok to try again later? I mean I assume that the socket setup failed
because there was no emacs server running. Can those cases be recognized?

That's one of the reasons I don't like this. emacsclient is based upon
the idea that you try to connect to Emacs, and if you can't, you just
run the alternate editor. Now, you're going to be forced to
distinguish between running the alternate editor, and running Emacs,
because they should be treated in two very different ways, and have
all sort of configuration options for the case that you run Emacs.
Unless you're thinking of getting rid of --alternate-editor, which
wouldn't be a good idea.

It would be far easier, I think, to have a second program (let's call
it launchemacs) that does:

 1) Run Emacs and wait until Emacs is running the server. The program
should have options to start Emacs the way the user wants (either a
config file, command line options, environmente variables, whatever)
 2) Once the seerver is running, execvp emacsclient(w?).exe with the
original arguments passed to launchemacs.

The trick is that then you can do

 emacsclient --alternate-editor=launchemacs myfile.txt

and you don't have to modify emacsclient *at all*.

                   /L/e/k/t/u