Re: ruby-mode?

From: Seiji Zenitani
Subject: Re: ruby-mode?
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 21:50:32 +0900

Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 15:43:41 +0900
From: "Seiji Zenitani" <address@hidden>

In November 2005, I contacted both ruby-mode authors and RMS.
Ruby-mode authors agreed, but it was postponed because Emacs 22 was
coming near. One year has passed since then. Considering its
importance, I think it's time to include ruby-mode.

FWIW, I don't see why Emacs 22 release is of any importance for the
decision whether to include ruby-mode, unless ruby-mode requires
changes in other parts of Emacs.  If no such additional changes are
required, inclusion of ruby-mode cannot possibly hurt anything, since
this is a new feature that didn't exist before.

Well, strictly speaking, we would not want to have Emacs hang (for
example while font-locking) when it opens a Ruby file, even if it
means opening it in Fundamental Mode.

However, since ruby-mode.el has presumably been used by a non-zero
number of users this last year, I don't think that this catastrophic
scenario is probable enough to prefer having Emacs 22 without a
dedicated Ruby mode.

So Seiji, do you know whether the assignment process was done at that
time?  If it wasn't, that's something we should really do now.