Refontifying after revert in hi-lock-mode

From: Denis Bueno
Subject: Refontifying after revert in hi-lock-mode
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 17:32:58 -0500

I would like a synergy between auto-revert-tail-mode and hi-lock-mode.
I frequently tail log files, and would like live updates of
highlighted terms in those log files. In my Emacs (GNU Emacs 22.0.90.2
(powerpc-apple-darwin8.8.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0) of 2006-11-11 on
ford.local), after a revert performed by auto-revert-tail-mode, I
would like any new terms matching active regexps to be highlighted.
But they aren't.

I tried the following hook, it my .emacs, and I'm not quite sure why it fails:

,----
| ;; In auto-revert mode, after reverting, if font-lock is turned on,
| ;; fontify the buffer. I intend for this to re-fontify my buffers when they
| ;; revert and I'm using hi-lock-mode.
| (require 'autorevert)
| (add-hook 'after-revert-hook
|           (lambda ()
|             (if font-lock-mode
|                 (progn
|                   (message "Re-fontifying buffer...")
|                   (font-lock-fontify-buffer)))
|             (message "dbueno's after-revert-hook finished.")))
`----

I looked into autorevert.el to verify that auto-revert-tail-mode
indeed uses `revert-buffer', so, I think that hook should be executed.
I figured that maybe there was a `revert-buffer-function' in use when
`revert-buffer' is called, which (as the doc for `revert-buffer' says:

"If the value of `revert-buffer-function' is non-nil, it is called to
do all the work for this command.  Otherwise, the hooks
`before-revert-hook' and `after-revert-hook' are run at the beginning
and the end, and if `revert-buffer-insert-file-contents-function' is
non-nil, it is called instead of rereading visited file contents."

Does anyone know why my hook wouldn't run? and if so, how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance.

-Denis