Re: Problem with non-valid file names on w32

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Problem with non-valid file names on w32
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 12:12:21 +0100

On 12/1/06, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

I really don't think we should fix it for w32 alone.  Emacs doesn't
check the file name for validity on _any_ system; why should Windows
behave differently?

I think we should *not* fix it anywhere. It's a wild goose chase,
because ultimately, it's the filesystem who knows what a valid
filename is and what is not. I don't see anything wrong with the user
getting an error message when the filename is not valid: he's won't
lose data, just retry with another name.

                   /L/e/k/t/u