Re: Mysterious fontification/C++ context issue

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Mysterious fontification/C++ context issue
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 11:30:11 -0500

>>> BTW, in Elisp an open bracket in column zero of a string should not
>>> confuse Emacs.  Yet you highlight it with `font-lock-warning-face'.
>> Indeed, it *shouldn't*, but it does confuse Emacs, which is why it's
>> highlighted ;-(.  We should fix it so it doesn't confuse Emacs any more (and
>> doesn't get highlighted either).
> Due to the fact that "\\s(" is hardwired in `font-lock-compile-keywords'
> and can't be set individually by a major mode.

It's only hardwired in font-lock-compile-keywords for the (good) reason that
it's hardwired in beginning-of-defun.  Of course, if we fix
beginning-of-defun, we should adjust font-lock-compile-keywords accordingly.

The problem really fundamentally lies in beginning-of-defun.
`font-lock-compile-keywords' only reflects it.

        Stefan