Re: Saving when the coding system can't code all buffer characters

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Saving when the coding system can't code all buffer characters
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 10:39:39 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

>     Then, is it ok that, after C-g, point is moved to the first
>     problematic character and the contents of *Warning* buffer
>     is a little bit changed to show what to do?

> No, C-g should JUST QUIT.

> I suggested people make it show all the relevant information _at the
> outset_.  Would you like to try implementing that, please?

Even if we put all the relevant information in *Warning*
buffer, as the window height is limited, a user have to
switch to *Warning* buffer and scroll up/down to see all of
them.  In addition, I don't know what is "all the relevant
information" for a user.   One may want to see the info
shown by C-u C-x =, one may want to see the docstring of
each coding system, ...

So, I just improved the content of *Warning* buffer a little
bit as below (the changed parts are indicated by ^^^^).

These default coding systems were tried to encode text
in the buffer `temp':
  euc-japan-unix
However, each of them encountered these problematic characters:
  euc-japan-unix: 你 好

Click those characters to jump to the place they appear,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and C-u C-x = will give information about it.

Select one of the following safe coding systems,
or cancel the writing by C-g and edit the buffer,
or specify any other coding system at the risk of
losing the problematic characters.
  utf-8 utf-16 utf-16 utf-16 utf-16be utf-16le iso-2022-7bit

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden