Re: Huge gap between fringe and scroll-bar

From: Leo
Subject: Re: Huge gap between fringe and scroll-bar
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 18:02:20 +0000

* Jan Djärv (2007-01-01 13:46 +0100) said:
> Leo skrev:
>> Emacs's native scroll-bar (--without-toolkit-scroll-bars) can have a
>> huge gap between fringe and scroll-bar. To see this:
>>   emacs -Q -l sb.el
>> Where sb.el has:
>> ,----[ sb.el ]
>> | (setq initial-frame-alist
>> |       '((scroll-bar-width . 10)))
>> `----
>> As you can see the gap between the fringe and scroll-bar is close to
>> 8 pixels. I see no gap for gtk scroll-bar though.
> The scroll bar width for the scroll bars are constrained to be equal
> to an even character width.  So if you say scroll bar width 10, it
> is padded to an even character width.  The GTK scroll bar is also
> padded, but it divides the padding evenly at the left and right side
> of the scroll bar.  You can clearly see this if you run Emacs with a
> different background, like
> % emacs -bg gray50 -Q -xrm 'Emacs.scrollBarWidth: 10'
> and then change the character size to different sizes (use the font
> menu at Shift-Mouse-1 for example).

I see now.

Before this post I did a search in Emacs info and can not find the
answer not even scrollBarWidth. Is there a complete list of X resource
options hidden somewhere?

Also is there any reason to make the width of scroll-bar take up even
character width? Because the gap is not pretty and very noticeable.

>> BTW, can I set scroll-bar width in X resource file?
> See above.

Thank you ;)