Re: Building cvs emacs on a dual-core machine

From: Eric Lilja
Subject: Re: Building cvs emacs on a dual-core machine
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 21:56:00 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
From: Eric Lilja [snip raw email address quote]
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 12:24:21 +0100

Another rebuild: Without jobs, ~11 minutes

Same here.  I get between 11 and 13 minutes, depending on whether I
use "-j 2" or not.  This is a single-core system with a 3-GHz
hyper-threaded CPU.

With jobs: Will not complete. :-(

Please show me the error messages which prevented it from finishing.

Sorry for the delay, but I have been gone for most of the holidays. Hope you notice my update to this old thread (easy to miss if you use gmane like me).

Anyway, I just performed a full checkout and was able to build emacs using the following script:

#!/bin/bash
export CVS_RSH="ssh"
touch ~/.cvspass
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/emacs co emacs
rm ~/.cvspass
cd emacs/nt/
./configure.bat --with-gcc --no-cygwin --no-debug
time mingw32-make bootstrap --jobs=2 XMFLAGS="--jobs=2"
mingw32-make install

Same system as before. So with the changes you made I can now perform a full bootstrap when specifying the jobs parameter. :-) I didn't try to build without specifying jobs, but I'm sure it works if this script works (and it does). Thanks for fixing this! As you mentioned, specifying jobs provide no real benefit under windows at the moment but it still feels good that this has been fixed.

- Eric