Re: What is the purpose of "To bind the key M-DEL, use "\M\d", not M-DEL

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: What is the purpose of "To bind the key M-DEL, use "\M\d", not M-DEL"
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 01:26:05 +0100

Andreas Schwab wrote:
"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

Which actually works, yes. But isn't there a point in telling about
M-backspace instead since M-DEL is made in the platform specific
translation in function-key-map?

No, M-DEL is the canonical key.  Anthing defined via function-key-map is
non-canonical.

Ah, thanks. That means my latest patch for the tutorial is wrong AFAICS now - so please do not install that - yet.

I had to consult Webster to see what canonical really means ....

Now let me see if I understand this... - here is then another question around this:

As I understand it now the preferable way to define a key is (of course) always to use a canonical representation. Maybe it even can not be done in any other way?

But then I do not understand the use of M-backspace. In pc-mode.el M-backspace is used for keybinding. Works ok on w32 and I guess on other platforms too? But backward-kill-word is not bound to M-backspace directly on w32, but instead through function-key-map. Why is it so? Where is backward-kill-word on other systems? What does C-h w give? What does M-backspace do on other systems?