Re: Whitespace cleanup, tab-width and religion.

From: Rajesh Vaidheeswarran
Subject: Re: Whitespace cleanup, tab-width and religion.
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 20:55:48 -0500

On 1/2/07, Kim F. Storm <address@hidden> wrote:
"Rajesh Vaidheeswarran" <address@hidden> writes:

> To be clear, from whitespace.el's point of view, it is not relevant what the
> tab-width is set at. People set tab-widths to whatever they please on their
> favorite editors.

favorite editor_s_ ?   Isn't this an Emacs package?

Shouldn't it _primarily_ work seamless with Emacs?

If people need code to interoperate with other editors, they probably
shouldn't change tab-width -- but in the specific case, Michaël actually
need to change tab-width because of interoperability issues!

So why make whitespace.el _enforce_ "standards" which are unnecessary at
best, and disruptive at worst.

I don't see it as religious -- tab-width exists, so it's reality, and
there's no need to turn it into a religious issue.

[all three answered below]

It is impractical to make statements like that. Every development organization has people who use different editors, and who operate on the same source files. Editing a file inside emacs, with whitespace enforcing TABs at tab-width other than 8 and printing or viewing that file via another mechanism will be inconsistent. This is why the library explains why this is religious. If it were not religious, we wouldn't be exchanging these mails in the first place.

Do you object that that change?

yes. It works as designed and intended.