Re: abbreviate-file-name on Windows seems incorrect

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: abbreviate-file-name on Windows seems incorrect
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 00:30:57 +0000

Richard Stallman wrote:
Can you check whether the efficiency gain is really significant in
practice?
Compared with the current version of abbreviate-file-name, getenv seems to take a little more than twice as long to complete on my system. So it might be reasonable to expect the time for abbreviate-file-name to triple if it is changed to calculate the value of HOME every time it is needed based on getenv alone. But abbreviate-file-name seems to do other things as well involving directory-abbrev-alist, which may be much more significant if we also need to repeat those because of the change.

But I am not sure that this function is called often enough to make
a significant difference.
Possibly not. But I'd prefer not to consider such changes now.