porting and packaging Emacs to a new platform: Maemo

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: porting and packaging Emacs to a new platform: Maemo
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:06:23 -0500

Hi,

I've started work on porting Emacs to a new platform, Maemo, which
runs on the Nokia 770/N800 devices.  See http://maemo.org for more
information.  Basically this is a Debian system with custom extensions
because of the limited memory space and special ARM hardware.  The
Emacs pretest compiles cleanly with GTK support and it runs fine.

I have two questions:

1) to save space, I'd like to cut as much as possible from the
package.  Is there a list of "must have" files in an Emacs package?  I
don't mean just "must have to run," but all the files that the Emacs
maintainers would like to keep in the package--essential READMEs,
etc.  If there's an example of such a minimal Emacs install, I would
appreciate a pointer.

2) I want to add a special way to enter the Meta and Control modifiers
on the 770/N800, which don't have a built-in keyboard but use a pop-up
keyboard instead, and that keyboard doesn't have Meta or Control keys.
This may be a toolbar or another method; my question is if such code
should go in the mainline Emacs CVS or if I should keep it in a
patch.

Thanks for any help...
Ted