Re: display-completion-list should not strip text properties

From: Vinicius Jose Latorre
Subject: Re: display-completion-list should not strip text properties
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:17:42 -0200

Richard Stallman wrote:
    Here's a related, simple, change that I've been sitting on for a long
    time. By putting text properties on doc strings you can insert images
    and other fancy stuff in the *Help* buffer. This change makes
    describe-variable preserve text properties (describe-function already
    does so):

There is no clean and easy way to put text properties on a doc string,
so I think this is not very useful in the present context.

If someone comes up with a clean way to do that, this would be a
useful part of the combination.  We could think then about installing
it.

One way to "insert images and other fancy stuff" in doc string, could be to use a wiki-like language in the doc string.

The doc string have some minimal special sequence substring like:

   \[COMMAND]
   \{MAPVAR}
   \<MAPVAR>
   \=

Maybe these special sequences could be extended to have, for example:

   \==HEADER1==
   \===HEADER2===
   \#image{SOME-REFERENCE-TO-AN-IMAGE}
   \#h1{HEADER1}
   \#h2{HEADER2}
   ...etc...

and other doc stuff.

Obviously, this should be done after the release.