Re: coding systems and input methods are non-intuitive stuff

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: coding systems and input methods are non-intuitive stuff
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:38:07 +0100

On 1/30/07, Kevin Rodgers <address@hidden> wrote:

So how does U+015F get inserted into a latin-1 buffer?

C-x RET f is `set-buffer-file-coding-system'. In other words, it will
apply when I try to save the buffer; and then possibly I'll get a
message saying that the buffer's contents cannot be saved with that
coding system. But that is irrelevant. There's nothing wrong with

;; insert whatever stuff
;; set buffer coding system 1
;; insert stuff not representable in coding system 1
;; set buffer coding system 2
;; save the file

There's no requirement that the contents of a buffer *must* be
writable with the current buffer coding system, unless and until I try
to save it...

But that's a digression. What I'm interested in knowing is whether
being able to do

 ;; insert a char with the current input method
 ;; M-x quail-show-key => "X can't be input with the current input method"

(as in my previous example) is a bug or a "feature" of the
buffer-coding-system / input method interaction.

                   /L/e/k/t/u