Re: user-init-file source vs. compiled

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: user-init-file source vs. compiled
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 17:41:52 -0500

>>> File name, including directory, of user's initialization file.
>>> If the file loaded had extension `.elc', and the corresponding source file
>>> exists, this variable contains the name of source file, suitable for use
>>> by functions like `custom-save-all' which edit the init file.
>>
>> I think we should *strongly* recommend not to compile the .emacs file.
>> It's a dumb thing to do, unless you're a masochist anyway.

> Currently, the Emacs manual says

>      If you have a large amount of code in your `.emacs' file, you
>   should rename it to `~/.emacs.el', and byte-compile it.  *Note Byte
>   Compilation: (elisp)Byte Compilation, for more information about
>   compiling Emacs Lisp programs.

I clearly disagree.  If there's no loop in your .emacs, then byte-compiling
won't bring you any benefit.  And if there are loops and byte-compiling is
important to make them fast enough, then you should most likely take those
things out of your .emacs and move them to a separate file/package.

        Stefan