Re: Hebrew xlation of Emacs tutorial

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Hebrew xlation of Emacs tutorial
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 23:40:53 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 20:12:42 +0100
>
> Oh, that is not as much an implication of bidi redisplay but rather of
> missing display features of Emacs in general.  "composite character"
> may be the wrong word, it is "compositing"?  Things like accents that
> are supposed to overprint the following character.

You mean combining character sequences (and other compatibility and
canonical decompositions).  Yes, Emacs does not yet fully support
them.  And there are several other features codified by Unicode that
AFAIK we still don't support.

> Emacs does not cater for them yet, neither does it for antialiased
> font display (unless we are talking isolated branches or ports).  I
> thought that it would be probably imprudent to address those missing
> features in isolation from bidi support, since the solutions likely
> have some overlap.

The only overlap I know of is that Hebrew and Arabic have
diacriticals, so any support for combining sequences will have to
include that.