Re: Bootstrapping Unicode branch on Windows

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping Unicode branch on Windows
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 12:27:58 +0100

On 2006-12-04, I wrote:

Does the emacs-unicode-2 branch bootstrap on Windows? I'm getting this error:

 [...]
 Generating autoloads for kermit.el...done
 Generating autoloads for kmacro.el...
 Generating autoloads for kmacro.el...done
 Local variables entry is missing the suffix
 make[1]: *** [autoloads] Error -1
 make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/bin/emacs/unicode/lisp'
 make: *** [bootstrap-gmake] Error 2

(I forgot to say that is with Windows XP, MinGW 3.4.5, and using CMD, not sh.)

Well, it seems the problem is related to Emacs believing that some ^M
at the end of the lines are part of the local variables suffix.

I've been able to get much farther down the bootstrapping path by:

- checking out lisp/international/uni-*.el with -kb (which "cures"
the problem above)
- setting LANG=en_US.UTF-8 (this avoids a lot of warnings saying that
iso-latin-1 disagrees with system codeset cp1252)
- checking out assorted quail/*/* files with -kb (though I'm not
entirely sure that's needed)

However, unicode Emacs refuses to compile leim/quail/PY.el;
apparently, it has issues reading it:

In toplevel form:
quail/PY.el:87:1:Error: Invalid read syntax: "#"

Any idea?
                   /L/e/k/t/u