Re: Fix needed for communication with gpg-agent

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Fix needed for communication with gpg-agent
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 19:14:00 -0500

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Currently, pgg.el uses code like this:
>
>        (while (eq 'run (process-status process))
>        (accept-process-output process 5))
>
> Replacing this with the following would (in principle) prevent Emacs
> from reading any input while waiting for the process to terminate.
>              (accept-process-output process nil nil 1))
>

> But we may also need to define SYNC_INPUT to make this work reliable ??

That accept-process-output is done after sending gpg the text that we
want to encrypy/decrypt.  Gpg calls pinentry *before* accepting the
text.

BTW, for anyone who would like to test out your ideas on this problem,
here is a recipe:

1. $ killall gpg-agent; eval `gpg-agent --daemon`;
2. $ emacs
3. [Put some text in the region]
4. M-x pgg-sign-region

The two behaviors of pinentry can be observed to depend on whether you
are on the console or in X.