Re: address@hidden: Re: map-y-or-n does not use minibuffer-prompt face]

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: map-y-or-n does not use minibuffer-prompt face]
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:27:36 +0100

Kim F. Storm wrote:
"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

Sorry, I thought I just said that those places should use
minibuffer-prompt-properties'.

Maybe you just said that in the mails you sent to me without
copying the list...?

Maybe. Sorry.

We should clearly fix the prompts which lack the minibuffer-prompt face
completely (I will fix query-replace).

But at this time I don't see a big need to fix this generally by
replacing all places that set (face minibuffer-prompt) explicitly
rather than using minibuffer-prompt-properties.

I know Lennart disagree, but WDOT?

Yes, I disagree and I think I will repeat the arguments for clarity. The reason is that I want it to be simple to toggle the face used by the minibuffer prompts.

As I said in many other places we make it easy to toggle the face used by having a variable with the same name as the face. This variable is used when Emacs decides which face to use. By default it points to the face with the same name. Then the user can easily toggle between two different faces.

This is what I want the user to be able to do in this case too. There is however no variable named minibuffer-prompt. Instead minibuffer-prompt-properties should be used here. Currently in some places it is used to select the face, in other places not.

Kim, I think I sent you patches for all cases where I think minibuffer-prompt-properties should be used. Didn't I do that? (I am currently using those patches and they work well for me.)