Re: ETAGS & find-tag

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: ETAGS & find-tag
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 08:22:19 +0100

>Do you consider normal that M-. <find-tag>
>
>jumps in order to the following definitions (of function or variable) using
>C-u as prefix :
>
>find-tag-hook
>find-tag-default-function
>
>but not to... find-tag?

No.  It should jump to find-tag first, then to the other ones.  In fact,
I cannot reproduce the behaviour you describe.

>I opened TAGS file, and <find-tag> was not there.

Which etags did you use?  I can see the tag whith either new or old
etags.

>Still I had created the TAGS by
>find -name *.[ch] -o -name *.el | xargs etags -

In this particular case this works, but don't do that in general,
because xargs may make two calls to etags as the consequence of too many
arguments, and in this case you would get a second TAGS overwriting the
first one without any warnings.  For Emacs, just do `make tags'.