Error report on startup

From: Herbert Euler
Subject: Error report on startup
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 21:48:29 +0800

Error report on startup could be confusing.  Consider the following in
~/.emacs:

   (with-current-buffer (find-file-noselect "some-file.el")
     (read (current-buffer)))

If ``some-file'' does not contain valid Lisp expression, the user will
see an error saying ``End of file during parsing:
/home/somebody/.emacs''.  However, the ~/.emacs file is valid; what is
not valid is the file some-file.el.

I had this problem when using Emacs on Windows.  I turned on
type-break mode.  For some reason I do not know until now, the file
~/.type-break was not written correctly for many times, so that the
functions `type-break-get-previous-time' and
`type-break-get-previous-count' failed on the invoking to `read'.
Then I saw the above message, this vague message took me so long to
find out the problem.

Is it possible to improve the error report?  An approach might be
setting `load-file-name' temporarily, but there seem to be many
adjustments.

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu

Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.com/