Re: --with-gtk as default?

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: --with-gtk as default?
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 11:57:41 +0100

David Kastrup skrev:
Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

David Kastrup skrev:

    Given that GNOME is considered part of the GNU project, should not be
    --with-gtk be the default for compiling Emacs rather than Athena
    widgets, at least where GTK+ is available?

In principle maybe, but it isn't working well enough yet.
Interesting.  In my experience, it is working quite better than the
Athena widgets.  Which is one of the reasons I have been using the
Gtk+ port for years now.  For example, it has no problems using
Unicode in the menus.

Could you provide examples about things that work worse than with
Athena widgets?
The only thing I can think of is the display close bug that Gtk+
has.  Are there other problems that keeps us from having --with-gtk
as the default?

As far as I remember from the discussions (and I might well be wrong),
the display close bug has been fixed in the newest Gtk+ versions.

Well, sortof.  There are still memoty leaks inside Gtk+, but it does not crash.

So how would this strategy be?  If no toolkit is specified and GTK+ is
available, use GTK+ if it does not crash on display close.

Of course, at configure time, we might not have a DISPLAY available in
the first place.  Is there a good heuristic to figure out whether a
given GTK+ version would crash on close, even without having a display
in the first place to test it with?

In gtkutil.c we just check that Gtk+ is version 2.10 or newer.

        Jan D.