Re: Pretest?

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: Pretest?
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 22:32:13 +0200

On 2007-03-04 15:25, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:
>Giorgos Keramidas <address@hidden> writes:
>>   FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Tue Feb 27 01:25:46 EET 2007
>>
>> While I'm running the GTK+ version, however, I can crash Emacs in
>> emacs_blocked_free() by following the steps outlined below:
>>
>> * Run Emacs inside gdb:
>> * Run M-x gnus-agent-batch while my network connection is
>>   disabled, and let it time-out.  It prompts me for going into
>>   `off-line mode', to which I reply `yes'.
>> * The next time I input C-z Emacs crashes with a backtrace of:
>
> I can't seem to reproduce this on GNU/Linux (I don't have a FreeBSD
> box handy).  It's strange that gnus-agent batch has anything to do
> with it.  Have you been able to reproduce the C-z crash in any other
> circumstance?  (It is better to get a recipe not involving gnus, since
> that might depend on your newsgroup settings.)

I haven't been able to reproduce this consistently, and most of the
times I fire up Emacs I also start Gnus.  I'll try to see if I can
reproduce this without running Gnus at all.

> In any case, the backtrace indicates that the crash occurs deep in
> GTK/Glib.  If you look at what is occurring in the Emacs code, what
> we're doing is perfectly innocuous: gdk_pixbuf_new_from_xpm_data() is
> called on a static character array containing an XPM image.  So the
> bug is probably in GTK or Glib, not in Emacs.

Ok, I'm not sure if this is an Emacs bug.  It is definitely *not*
reproducible with any other toolkit, so it may be ok for the update of
the package/port to 22.0.95 to use a warning in the package installation
which mentions that 'make WITH_GTK=yes' *may* cause problems.

Thanks for the help :)

- Giorgos