Re: maybe don't set completion-ignore-case to t on w32 ?

From: John Paul Wallington
Subject: Re: maybe don't set completion-ignore-case to t on w32 ?
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 21:41:43 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Is it necessary to set `completion-ignore-case' to t in w32-fns.el for
>> the purpose of ignoring case on file-name completion now that we have
>> `read-file-name-completion-ignore-case' that defaults to t on
>> MS-Windows systems?
>
> I don't know if it's necessary, but I suggest that we not change
> anything at this point that does not fix a clear bug.

Fair enough.  I think it would be a good change to make after the
release though.

>> I'm using an MS-Windows system here, and M-x cust[TAB] gives `Custom-'
>> prefixed commands where I would only get `customize-' prefixed commands
>> with `completion-ignore-case' set to t.
>
> I cannot reproduce that, for me "M-x cust[TAB]" yields `customize'
> (sic, without the trailing dash that you show above), and tapping on
> TAB 2 more times shows a completion buffer where all completions begin
> with "customize", with a lower-case `c'.
> Do you see this problem in "emacs -Q"?

I think that's because only `customize-' prefixed stuff is defined
after emacs -Q.  Doing emacs -Q then M-x customize-variable varname
[RET] loads cus-edit at which point M-x cust [TAB} shows both
`customize-' and `Custom-' prefixed commands.