Re: Help: build emacs in cygwin

From: William Xue
Subject: Re: Help: build emacs in cygwin
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 16:22:32 +0800

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 12:24:28 +0800, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

Eli, you mentioned 'transcript', is it the following?
---8<-------------------------------------------------------------------->8---
address@hidden emacs]$ make bootstrap

Yes, thanks.

`/bin/pwd`/temacs --batch --load loadup bootstrap
Using load-path (/src/opensource/emacs/lisp
/src/opensource/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp /src/opensource/emacs/lisp/language
/src/opensource/emacs/lisp/international
/src/opensource/emacs/lisp/textmodes)
mv -f emacs.exe bootstrap-emacs.exe
mv: cannot stat `emacs.exe': No such file or directory

This shows the problem very clearly: for some reason, the command that
should have produced emacs.exe didn't run to completion, but rather
finished prematurely (a.k.a. crashed) after loading only a handful of
*.el files, the last one being mule-conf.el.

The Cygwin build of Emacs is currently very troubled.  In particular,
only a few versions of GCC are known to produce a working binary.
Please see the entry in etc/PROBLEMS whose header is "Building the
Cygwin port for MS-Windows can fail with some GCC version".  Also, you
will find a few discussions in the archives of this list about similar
problems that might help you find a solution.

Thank you.

I have checked the file and it seems that I should upgrade the GCC to 4.0 first.

I will try the newest GCC release 4.0.1.2 first.

--
Sincerely yours,
William