Re: read-file-name-predicate

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: read-file-name-predicate
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 18:49:45 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 08:31:59 -0800
>
> My point is that it is currently entre deux chaises. Either 1) it should be,
> as it is, accessible from Lisp, in which case it should be documented, or 2)
> it should be inaccessible from Lisp. (Yes, I do realize that not everything
> that is accessible from Lisp is documented.)

There are internal functions written in Lisp and internal Lisp
variables.  They are frequently not documented too well because it is
frequently hard to document them without explaining a lot of Emacs
internals.  This is perfectly normal.

I don't know if in this specific case the variable is a left-over from
something we don't need anymore; I hope Kim will answer that.  But
your general point -- that Lisp variables should all be documented to
the degree that every Emacs user should understand -- is not valid (as
a generality).