Re: resize-mini-windows...

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: resize-mini-windows...
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 05:22:30 +0900

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> Why is the default value for `resize-mini-windows' `grow-only'? I think that
> is annoying. I don't know what the advantage of `grow-only' is supposed to
> be, but I don't think it is a good choice for the default value.

It's a fine compromise choice which offers the most important features,
and avoids the most annoying problems of the alternatives.

This has been discussed many times, the default of `grow-only' is not
some random choice.

> What's wrong with t?

There are fairly common situations where the resultant constant bouncing
around of the window layout will drive you insane.  Think of times when
many messages are output quickly, e.g when byte-compiling a directory:
it's not unusual that half the messages are slightly longer than the
display width...

> or nil?

Do you really think that's a good value?  Where every single message
(and minibuffer edit!) over one line gets truncated?

-Miles

--
What the fuck do white people have to be blue about!?  Banana Republic ran
out of Khakis?  The Espresso Machine is jammed?  Hootie and The Blowfish are