Re: W3 and CSS measurements of "em"

From: Klaus Straubinger
Subject: Re: W3 and CSS measurements of "em"
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:56:43 +0100 (CET)

Magnus Henoch wrote:

> "T. V. Raman" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> This is possibly due to changes in Emacs 22 in the last few
>> months --- I'm not the best to debug this since it took me a few
>> months to even notice:-)
>
> A change in W3 on 15th of December last year, actually.

The change had been proposed by me, to correct way too large font sizes.

> I've posted about this to the w3-dev list, to find out whether that
> change should be reverted.

I tried to answer there, but my mail never appeared on the list of
archived messages, so I try here.

I still think my proposed change is a step in the right direction.
It has to be extended, though.

1.) The function css-expand-length should return always a number in the
    same unit of measurement. The percentage cases still calculate
    pixels, not points as the other cases.

2.) The callers of this function expect different units of measurement:
    css-split-font-shorthand expects point values, css-expand-value
    expects characters(?). These usages should be aligned, for example
    by using an extra parameter in css-expand-length to indicate in
    which unit of measurement the return value has to be calculated.

--
Klaus Straubinger