Menubar on text only terminals

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Menubar on text only terminals
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 19:12:08 +1200

I can make a menu item work like a toolbar icon on a text only terminal with
the following:

(define-key global-map [menu-bar compile] `(,(propertize "[compile]" 'face
'bold) . compile))

I've used a bold face (blue background with my setup) to try to emphasize the
button.  Unfortunately the space after the item name displays with the same
face.  Is it possible to prevent this?

This probably isn't for the release, but I think toolbar functionality maps
better onto text only terminals than the menubar because there are no pull
down menus to worry about.