Re: address@hidden: Locale Dependent Downcasing in smtpmail]

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Locale Dependent Downcasing in smtpmail]
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 17:06:07 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Volkan YAZICI <address@hidden> writes:

> > --- 691,704 ----
> >                       (>= (car response-code) 400))
> >                   (throw 'done nil)))
> >           (dolist (line (cdr (cdr response-code)))
> > !           (let ((name (mapcar (lambda (s)
> > !                                 (setq s (downcase s))
> > !                                 ;; If `I' is downcased to dotless-i,
> > !                                 ;; convert it to `i'.
> > !                                 (if (/= (downcase ?I) ?i)
> > !                                     (subst-char-in-string
> > !                                      (downcase ?I) ?i s t))

> Such a fix is quite unfeasible. What do you think to do for other
> problematic characters as well? Introduce a new if-else clause for
> every one?

To avoid such an ad-hoc fix, I must know the purpose of
downcasing here.  Do we need just "tr A-Z a-z"?  Or, do we
have to downcase also non-ASCII chars?  In the latter case,
what to do with conversion from dotted-I to `i' in Turkish?
Do we need such an advanced downcasing as "MASSE" -> "maße"
for German?

> I am not faimilar with introducing a new macro policy of emacs team
> but it'd probably be useful (handy?) to have something similar to this
> macro:

> (with-case-table 'ascii
>   ;; Any call to DOWNCASE/UPCASE within this (dynamic?) scope will use
>   ;; the case conversion table specified in the first argument of the
>   ;; WITH-CASE-TABLE macro.
>   ...)

I also thought about such a thing at first, but the above
questions rose, and unless I know clearly what to do,
anything I do will be ad-hoc.  So, I reached to the quite
localized fix (also by considering that the release is
near).

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden