Re: 15 seconds to fontify index

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: 15 seconds to fontify index
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 10:41:43 +0000 (UTC)

В Mon, 02 Apr 2007 16:00:12 +0300, Eli Zaretskii написа:

> Compare that with the CPU speed increase during those 5 years.

And compare that to the fact that few users are not affected by the CPU
speed increase, because they seldom upgrade their hardware.  For
example, my main (and most powerful) desktop machine is basically the
same in the past ~10 years.  Upgraded the CPU from 100 MHz to 233 MHz,
added some more RAM, and that's it.

I'm not saying that in general developers should always do their best
to satisfy users like me (I realize we're a minority), but it is a bit
frustrating to see how newer versions of some packages don't run, or
run in a nearly unacceptable way.

$ time emacs -Q -nw --eval '(info "(elisp)Index")' -kill
real    0m55.110s
user    0m50.715s
sys     0m0.512s

$ egrep -i "name|mhz" /proc/cpuinfo
model name      : Pentium MMX
cpu MHz         : 233.870

GNU Emacs 22.0.95.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
of 2007-03-02 on pacem, modified by Debian