Re: Top posting related changes in the cvs

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Top posting related changes in the cvs
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 15:40:40 +0900

Hi,

I'm sorry for the late response (I was absent because of flu).

> 2005-08-01  Katsumi Yamaoka  <address@hidden>

>   * gnus-uu.el (gnus-uu-save-article): Use insert-buffer-substring
>     instead of insert-buffer.

>   * message.el (message-yank-original): Ditto; set the mark at the
>     end of the yanked message.

I made those changes to obey the doc string of `insert-buffer':

#v+
This function is meant for the user to run interactively.
Don't call it from programs: use `insert-buffer-substring' instead!
#v-

> insert-buffer-substring inserts before point, while insert-buffer
> inserts after point.

Sure.  Therefore, I've made it behave like `insert-buffer' as
follows:

#v+
      (push-mark (save-excursion
                   (insert-buffer-substring message-reply-buffer)
                   (point)))
#v-

(This is just what `insert-buffer' defined in simple.el does.)

> my analysis is that the exchange-point-and-mark relied on
> insert-buffer's behavior, and thus became incorrect after the
> 2005-08-01 change, since point and mark were already in the correct
> order.

Anyway, I verified that, before this change, there has already
been the problem that happens when `message-yank-original' is
called interactively.  So, I'm not a culprit. ;-)

> () Reiner Steib <address@hidden>
> () Wed, 04 Apr 2007 00:05:29 +0200

>    I gather that you refer to an interactive call of
>    `message-yank-original' (C-c C-y) after doing a reply/followup
>    without citing the original (using `r'/`f').

> yes.

>    However, when using `R'/`F', I don't get this behavior anymore:
>    Point is _below_ the quote, which is wrong.

> patch below seems to fix `R'/`F' w/ light testing.
> here is a ChangeLog entry:

>         * gnus-msg.el (gnus-inews-yank-articles):
>         Fix bug: Make sure point is at eob after yanking.

> probably all callers of `message-yank-original' should be checked.
> does that give good results?

I think the recent change in `message-yank-original' and this
fix are the right solutions for Gnus v5.11.  However, for No
Gnus, it doesn't solve the problem in the case where
`message-cite-reply-above' is non-nil and `message-yank-original'
is called interactively.  How about this one?

        * message.el (message-yank-original): Don't exchange point and mark.

I also removed the `(unless (< (point) (mark-marker)) ...)' test
since I think it will never return nil.

Regards,