Re: Small but confusing doc error in easy-menu-define

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: Small but confusing doc error in easy-menu-define
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:55:42 -0700 (PDT)

> It is different level of abstraction, isn't it? Does not "non-nil" in
> Emacs doc usually means that a symbol value is not nil?

Yes, yes it does.  In this case, it means that the symbol named "symbol"
(described, as per usual, as SYMBOL in the doc string), which is bound to
the appropriate argument value when the function is called, has a value
that is not nil (and, by implication of the symbol's name ("symbol"), is
some other symbol instead).

Now, if you're talking about the value of the passed symbol as a variable,
I think you'd need to say something to the effect of "If SYMBOL's value as
a variable is non-nil, ...", but that's not what's meant.

Davis

shipping.