Re: footnote-style latin doesn't renumber

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: footnote-style latin doesn't renumber
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:38:05 +0900

Andreas Roehler writes:

 > Symbols after "3" seem odd to me. After "ยง" it starts
 > numbering again with "1". Strange.
 >
 > Maybe I ignore what latin-style means?

It means "footnotes labeled with characters available in Latin-1".
That means with a very small number of footnotes you can get pretty
superscript numerals for the labels.

The use of non-numeric labels is due to the fact that you can only
count to 3 with Latin-1 superscripts, and recycling when you run out
of labels is common to all of the "set of characters"-based footnote
styles.

IIRC there is an option that allows doubling the footnote label when
recycling, but that would look strange with numeric labels.