RE: Emacs manual mentioning thumbs mode but not tumme

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs manual mentioning thumbs mode but not tumme
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 08:47:39 -0700

> It is mainly for images, but it is not the only way Emacs can display
> images.

It's not about image display; it's about image browsing.

> What is special about tumme is that it displays small versions
> of things. I.e., thumbnails.

That might be special or new for Emacs now, but nearly all image viewers and
editors use thumbnail images. I don't think that is special enough to be
reflected in the library name. Especially since this library could be
extended in the future to do more with images and other multimedia file
types.

As I said before:
>> What is important for naming is that this is an
>> editor/browser/viewer of the images contained in a directory.

and
>> it's not the thumbnails themselves that constitute the feature
>> - it's the extension of editing/browsing/viewing to new file
>> types, including images.

Tumme adds image browsing to Emacs. It extends Dired-like behavior to other
file types and displays thumbnail images of those files. That thumbnail
images are used for image browsing is taken for granted by users, a
no-brainer. The thumbnail feature will become less novel/noticeable in the
future, and the library might well be extended to do more things with the
files and treat more file types.

I suggest emphasizing the library's Dired-like, image-browser behavior. I
also propose integrating it with Dired, after the release. A name that
suggests an extension of Dired to images etc. is appropriate. I suggested
`dired-images' and `dired-img'. `dired-media' and `dired-view' are other
possibilities, leaving open what gets viewed.

If there are no plans to integrate Tumme with Dired, then perhaps
`img-browser', `media-browse', `media-view', or something like that. If
there are plans to add image editing, then perhaps `image-edit'.

> So it makes sense to use the term "thumb" in a name for this mode....
> How about `thumbnail-images'?

I don't think so. What Tumme adds to Emacs is a practical way to browse a
collection of images. That includes using thumbnail images...of course.
Thumbnails might be a novelty for Emacs now, but they are standard for any
image browser. A user doesn't load such a library in order to see
thumbnails, but to browse a directory of images.