Re: Emacs 22 branch created.

From: Henrik Enberg
Subject: Re: Emacs 22 branch created.
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:50:26 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> > From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> > Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 10:37:49 +0200
> > Cc: address@hidden
> >
> > Miles, you have considerable experience with arch and merging stuff
> > into branches.  Could you possibly import the multitty stuff into a
> > CVS branch in case that Károly is not available for that?
>
> I'd also like to remind us the rmail-mbox branch, which we also wanted
> to merge post-22.1.

I'm not sure it is suitable for immediate merging, there are still some
issues:

  * At the moment, it is slightly worse than current Rmail when it comes
    to non-ascii support.  One of the major points of moving to the mbox
    format is to be compatible with external tools, and that rules out
    storing mailboxes in emacs-mule form, which old Rmail does.  I'm
    still not sure what the best approach here would be here.  UTF-8?
    Raw text?

  * Gnus BABYL support will break.  Since the new Rmail no longer knows
    how to decode BABYL, neither will Gnus.  This is unfortunate, but
    more or less unavoidable, given the way Rmail is designed.

  * The mime support is _very_ basic, but I guess that's not really a
    change from old Rmail.