Re: Release procedure.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Release procedure.
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 08:23:14 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I've long been baffled that trunk work is affected by the fact that a
>> release is under way.
>
> The reason is very simple: because of a lack of resources, we can't spread
> half the resources working on a "new trunk" with the half working on
> bug-fixing on a release branch.  So we first declare a freeze, then do
> bug-fixing on the trunk (during which time, development is significantly
> slowed down), and only when the amount of bug-fixing left is expected to be
> sufficiently low, do we finally branch so as to allow people to start
> hacking again without affecting negatively the time of the release.

Well, but we _did_ branch, and there is a complete lack of directions
about what the branch is supposed to be for.  Previously it was agreed
that we'd use the trunk after branching for merging in multi-tty and
emacs-unicode-2, and use the branch for the 22.x series.

At the current point of time, however, it appears like both trunk and
release branch are not supposed to be worked upon except by special
notice, and then both are synchronously updated.

It does not make sense, and it makes it impossible for anybody to do
serious work.

--
David Kastrup