Re: CVS is the `released version'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: CVS is the `released version'
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 15:05:41 -0400

> I like the idea of an incremental release mechanism for Emacs.  But it
> needs to be done right - I think XEmacs network-based packages update
> system doesn't quite do it, though it might be a step in the right
> direction.

I'm not sure if unbundling packages can be a help, but as a developper,
I like the fact that I can go and change a bunch of packages in-step without
worrying about backward compatibility (actually, I do have to worry about it
for those packages which are maintained by people who also distribute it as
a separate package and I find it to "constrain my style").

So I'd rather keep the monolithic package, but just have a stable branch
which is fairly liberally open to contributions, so long as those are
non-disruptive.  I guess by "non-disruptive" I mean that the patches are
either "obviously safe" or have an obviously limited impact so that even if
they introduce bugs, these bugs should have a limited impact.  I'm thinking
of bugs such as incorrect indentation or highlighting, as opposed to a crash
or a data corruption.  Also it's important those bugs be fixable in a rather
straightforward way: i.e. no installation of a patch with non-trivial
dependencies such that reverting it might be painful.

        Stefan