Re: Multi-tty design (Re: Reordering etc/NEWS)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Multi-tty design (Re: Reordering etc/NEWS)
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 14:50:59 +0200

Károly Lőrentey <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> Karoly Lorentey <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Yes.  The use case I tried to optimize for is that of a user
>>> invoking emacsclient as a drop-in replacement for emacs.  Processes
>>> started from the emacsclient session should inherit the environment
>>> of the client process.
>>
>> This does not sound like the right thing to do when emacsclient is
>> running on a different machine.  The PATH on this different machine
>> would be useless for calling processes on the machine that Emacs is
>> on.
>
> How can Emacsclient run on a different machine than Emacs itself?
> How would that be useful?  Would that even be secure?

Hm, I was somewhat confused here since I was thinking about remote
operation of Emacs.  But one does this by first getting a terminal or
whatever else open on the current machine.  So this particular point
might indeed be nonsensical.

Let's get the branch into Savannah and I'll be able to work on my
confusion more thoroughly.