Re: Multi-tty design (Re: Reordering etc/NEWS)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Multi-tty design (Re: Reordering etc/NEWS)
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 09:41:14 +0200

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

> Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
>
>> emacsclient -t started fine for me and it is fully functional, colors
>> appear as expected.
>
> It looked to me like you were very close to start working on the
> problem David noticed.

What makes you think so?

> Now you have got into a difficult situation. It would at least
> impress me if you two were able to revert that situation.

I reverted it.  But I don't find it impressive to leave obvious bugs
in the code in order to hide other bugs.

> It is not impossible, but possibly rather difficult to turn this
> into something good for both of you (and the rest of us). After all
> we are all human beeings, trying to do the best we can.

This was about _refraining_ from doing the best one can.  I pointed
out a problem where the code was not working as designed.  I also dug
up all Lisp callers that might be responsible for that and listed
them.

There was not a single word of interest into either looking into the
code I touched or the code I pinpointed.  There was not a single
comment upon my proposal for fixing the _design_ (which leads to
inconsistent, and overly complex behavior because it tries to
differentiate an environment variable set based on _another_ concept
of "terminal-local" that does not consider, say, two frames on the
same tty or X display as being on the same terminal).  Indeed, Dan
explicitly said that he was deleting any comment on the design since
he was not interested in it.

All he was interested in was in reverting to the previous broken
state.

Nobody else was interested in following up on the problems, so that is
it.  I am not interested in getting no feedback but abuse for
bothering about a problem area.  I don't have the resources to fix all
of it myself, and if nobody else can be bothered to do anything but
complain, there is no point in even starting.

So I guess it is completely up to Károly to get this working or not.

--
David Kastrup