Re: [multi-tty] Emacs port status

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [multi-tty] Emacs port status
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 14:11:28 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 06:55:14 -0400
>
>     I'm not sure I will continue the MSDOS support in Emacs 23.  It sounds
>     like Emacs 23 will be Unicode-based; if that is indeed so, it will be
>     most probably well beyond my resources to make all the Unicode-related
>     features work on MSDOS.
>
> Emacs 23 is probably at least a year away.

My estimate is 3 years away, but I'd love to be wrong.

> Is MSDOS still used sufficiently to make it worth continuing to
> support?

I don't think it is used enough for people to want the latest and
greatest Emacs (which is why the prospect of letting it slowly bit-rot
doesn't bother me), but a year is enough time for people to holler if
I'm wrong.  I myself don't use the MSDOS port for at least 2 years,
except occasionally for a few minutes when I build a pretest of 22.1
and try a few commands, just to see that it doesn't crash.  And I
didn't see a bug report or a question about it for a long time.