Re: EOL conversion of files in .tar archives

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: EOL conversion of files in .tar archives
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 09:39:34 +0300

> Cc: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 18:58:03 -0400
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> I think it is a bug of find-buffer-file-type-coding-system
> >> (dos-w32.el).  If TARGET is (FILENAME . BUFFER), it should
> >> assume that the file contents is available.  Could you
> >> verify that the attached patch is correct?
> >
> > I will try when I have time, but in the meantime, I'd like to ask that
> > Emacs 22.1 not be released without resolving this issue.
>
> Why? This behavior has been present since before the pretest, and no
> one complained; this suggests it is not urgent.

It is not urgent, but it's a nasty problem, because preserving the EOL
format is one of fundamental Emacs features.  The way it works now,
Emacs violates the user trust, because changing EOL format will cause
subtle problems with other tools.

In any case, this problem is not going to delay the release, as I'll
probably work on it today, and Handa-san already suggested what seems
like the right solution.  I just didn't want the release to go out a
few minutes before the change is committed, that's all.

Anyway, I said "I'd like to ask"; if others think it's a bad idea to
fix this now, so be it.