eval-expression-print-format lost in debugger

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: eval-expression-print-format lost in debugger
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 08:51:27 +1000

In the scratch buffer

        type: (error "x")
        C-x C-e
        [enters debugger]
        e 123 Ret
        => 123

where I hoped to get the long form "123 (#o173, #x7b)" as from an
"M-: 123".

I was scratching my head for a while wondering the extra was sometimes
there and sometimes not.  I suspect when the debugger restores the
environment for the "e", it restores `last-command' and if
eval-expression-print-format sees eval-last-sexp there it decides not to
give the hex/octal.

I guess that's supposed to make C-u C-x C-e print only the single value
into the buffer, not the extra info, or something.  But alas that's
leaking out to hurt the debugger.  I see there's an override for edebug,
could there be one for the ordinary debugger?

(I imagine it'd be cleaner to have the various evalling commands decide
what style to print or not print, instead of
eval-expression-print-format divining the circumstances it was reached
from.  The "(eq last-command this-command)" test looks particularly
subtle there.)