Re: internal-lisp-face-p is not very discriminating, is it?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: internal-lisp-face-p is not very discriminating, is it?
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 12:28:52 +0200

On 6/3/07, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

Lisp gives you a lot of rope to hang yourself.
At rather internal levels like this, we don't need to take steps
to defend against putting perverse values in data structures.

Well, other internal functions visible to lisp do take efforts to
defend (internal-lisp-face-empty-p, for example).

Moreover, (put 'my-face 'face-alias 'another-face) is *the* high level
way to create a face alias; there's no deffacealias equivalent to
`defalias' and `defvaralias'. And `facep' is the high level way to
test for a face.

I have nothing against it if it works out well.

OK, I've installed it, and also a subsequent pach to `face-id' to make
it follow the face-alias chain to find the ID. We discussed it a while
ago:

Me: Shouldn't `face-id' return an answer also for face aliases?
You: In principle, that sounds right, but I don't want to risk the change now.

Both changes have been working fine in my setup, and they're easy
enough to revert, should something unexpected happen.

            Juanma