Re: vera-mode.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: vera-mode.el
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 08:35:29 -0400

> Fixed (even though I haven't found comment-end-skip in any of the existing
> modes).

comment-end-skip was introduced in Emacs-21.1 and since obviously none of
the existing modes set it before then, I've tried to make things work even
in its absence.  It's often not absolutely necessary.  So I have not made
any effort to systematically try and make all the major modes set
comment-end-skip appropriately.  But when I see one missing, I add it.

>> - Also it should not (require 'font-lock) and neither should it call
>> (turn-on-font-lock).

> People often asked why fontification is not on by default, so I just
> explicitely turned it on here.  Is it on in the latest Emacs release?
> Seems odd if not.  I made above changes.

It's ON by default in Emacs-22, but in any case it's not a decision for the
mode to make.  It's the user who should turn it on (e.g. via
global-font-lock-mode or the equivalent functionality in XEmacs).

Thanks for the changes.  I haven't looked much deeper, but things look good
from here.  I'd just add an autoload for auto-mode-alist, something like

;;;###autoload (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.vr[hi]?\\'" . vera-mode))

Oh, I also notice you (run-hooks 'menu-bar-update-hook).  It looks odd and
unnecessary (and potentially harmful, though probably not), so I think it
deserves a comment explaining why it's there.

Also the C-c C-h is odd: why not just use the standard C-h m
functionality instead?

        Stefan